Petition to Seal Instructions
The following requirements must be met in order to apply to have your felony/misdemeanor record sealed in Sebastian County:
- the suspended sentence time must be completed;
- all terms and conditions of the suspended sentence must be met. This may include, but not limited to, paying any fines, costs, fees, restitution, completion of any Court ordered counseling, meetings, probation, or community service work.
Petition to Seal Felony/Misdemeanor Process
- Complete the appropriate form on https://www.dps.arkansas.gov/crime-info-support/arkansas-crime-information-center/forms/There are seven (7) different forms of Petition to Seal. You will need to determine which form is appropriate for your situation. The Clerk's Office will try to assist you, but we are not attorneys and are not responsible if the incorrect form is used.
- *** If you do not have access to a computer at home, you may go to a Fort Smith Public Library and use their internet: there is no fee if you have a library card, if you do not have a library card, the fee is $3.00/per hour and then $.25/per page printed (the Petitions are about 4 pages).***
- **YOU CAN CONTACT ARKANSAS LEGAL AID AT 1-800-950-5817 FOR ANY QUESTIONS OR HELP WITH YOUR PETITION TO SEAL**
Return the Original Petition plus an additional (2) copies, all of which you will file in the Sebastian County Circuit Clerk's Office.
Once the Petition to Seal is filed, there is a THIRTY (30) DAY waiting period for the arresting agencies to file any objections they may have. When the thirty (30) day waiting period has passed, the Court Administrators Office will prepare the Order to Seal for consideration by the Court. You will be mailed a file-marked copy of the Court Order, if it is granted or denied.